Art & Design

Download detailed course information

Art and Design is an exciting subject that encourages creative self-expression. SJD tutors and students work together in our state-of-the-art studios to create truly stunning artwork in a dynamic and supportive atmosphere.

Art & Design

What will I study?

Drawing is an essential part of the course, as is working with new techniques, materials and processes, experience of which will be gained through a series of ‘workshops’ and mini projects in the initial stages of the course. You will also be required to explore the work of professional artists to influence and inspire your work and to extend your understanding and appreciation of the subject. Within the two years of study coursework produced will be worth 60% of your overall grade, whilst the end of course exam (preparatory studies for which begin in February of the second year), accounts for the remaining 40%. As part of the extended unit of coursework you will also be required to produce a written and illustrated ‘journal’ which discusses aspects of your work and that of any artists referred to.

Co-curricular activities?

As well as gallery visits, some students take part in a trip to Tuscany and the department also runs a three-day residential drawing and sculpture course and critical study visits abroad. After College, life drawing classes may be available for interested students.

Where might it lead?

Students go to university to study for a degrees in Textile Design, Fashion Design, Illustration, Interior Design, Automotive Design, Animation, Photography, Fine Art, Architecture, Landscape Architecture, Theatre Design, Jewellery, Graphic Design, Film and Television, Furniture Design, Ceramics and Glass, Three Dimensional Design etc.

Download detailed course information