Students aim to raise £1,000 for St Luke’s

 StLukes

Charitable students at Sir John Deane’s Sixth Form College are aiming to raise more than £1,000 for St Luke’s Hospice by simply asking all students and staff to donate £1.

The fundraiser, which has attracted support from business and organisations across Cheshire, will take place all next week, culminating with a day of fundraising on Thursday 14th November. 

Mia Griffiths, President of Sir John Deane’s Sixth Form College’s Charities Committee, said: “We are delighted to be supporting such a worthy cause and are urging everyone in the college to support us next week by donating just £1.

“We are really hopeful that we can hit our target of £1,000 and maybe even much more if every single student, teacher and member of staff donates.

“We will be collecting during tutorials next week, and will have donation stations across the College.

“It’s such a simple idea but we are hoping to make a big difference.”

St Luke’s, based in Winsford, provides palliative care to local people, supporting them in ways which go beyond the scope and funding of the NHS. Last year they supported more than 1,000 patients with a huge range of support from end of life care on their ward to supporting carers, and from helping children cope with grief to helping patients return to work after an illness.

It costs over £3 million to run the Hospice each year with just 15% of the funding coming from the Government, while the other 85% has to come from community fundraising.

Andy Bailey, corporate partnership manager for St Luke’s, said: “These days everyone is busy and a lot of local businesses tell us that they would love to support St Luke’s but unfortunately don’t always have the time. The beauty of this idea is that it’s really easy to take part and our teams of volunteers will even collect the donations.”

Money raised by the college will enable vital improvements for the hospice conservatory and enable 10 patients to attend the day hospice to access support services.